Grants available to stamp out graffiti in Mitchell Shire
Communities across Mitchell Shire are being urged to work with council to apply for a community-based grant to combat local graffiti hotspots.
Labor MPs Danielle Green and Jaclyn Symes today announced the latest round of Graffiti Prevention Grants are now open and that funding of up to $30,000 was available.
Ms Green said the grants provide funding for councils to team up with community groups, local police, schools and local businesses to deliver anti-graffiti projects.
“The Graffiti Prevention Grants provide an opportunity for the council to work with local community groups, to develop local solutions to graffiti hotspots in Mitchell Shire,” Ms Green said.
Ms Symes said applicants are encouraged to develop a comprehensive approach to combating graffiti vandalism at a local-level.
“These projects can make a real difference to the look and feel of the community, especially around safety and community pride,” Ms Symes said.
Some of the projects that may be funded include:
- environmental design initiatives to improve natural surveillance
- adoption of anti-graffiti coating or graffiti resistant materials
- initiatives to cover walls vulnerable to graffiti vandalism such as vertical gardens and landscaping, murals and public art
- place-based activities that encourage space activation and community ownership to care for an area which is a graffiti hotspot
- graffiti removal activities and resources to support broader graffiti prevention efforts
- anti-graffiti education initiatives on laws relating to the sale of aerosol paint cans
Since July 2015, the government has allocated nearly $1.4 million towards 72 anti-graffiti projects across Victoria
The grants are part of the government’s Community Crime Prevention Program, which helps promote community safety and prevent crime across the state.
Applications for the latest round of Graffiti Prevention Grants open on 5 March and close on Friday 20 April 2018.
Further information is available at crimeprevention.vic.gov.au/graffitigrants.
Media contact Craig Wilson 0428-525-909 | email@example.com