More Funding For Wallan
State Member for Yan Yean Danielle Green and Member for Northern Victoria Jaclyn Symes will next week mark the start of works on the Wallan Town Centre Redevelopment Project.
This transformational project is possible through an Andrews Labor Government investment of $3.7 million. When complete the new town centre will create up to 60 jobs in retail and hospitality and improve the central shopping precinct for the growing community.
This project will make improvements to the entrance to the town centre, increase pedestrian safety, vehicle access, and enhance the overall amenity of the central precinct. These changes will attract more local and diverse businesses that will make shopping locally easier and more attractive to the community. The project includes:
- Construction of a new town square and library plaza
- Improved access to car parking spaces and a new pedestrian crossing on the Northern Highway
- Car parking at Hadfield Park and new lighting and tree planting
- Footpaths, car parking, lighting, landscaping and drainage works on Wellington Street
- Beautification of the Avenue of Honour in High Street
Ms Symes and Ms Green also announced further funding of $895,000 from the Growing Suburbs Fund for Mitchell Shire Council:
- $670,000 for the Wallan Neighbourhood Off Road Connection to deliver better pedestrian and cyclist access along Watson Street and into the Wallan Town Centre through the construction of an off-road shared trail to improve safety and access for all community members.
- $225,000 towards the Connecting Neighbourhoods and Families project – which will upgrade pocket parks to bring communities together, the project will deliver upgraded play spaces and social spaces to improve local safety and connection.
Quotes attributable to Member for Yan Yean, Danielle Green
“The Wallan Town Centre Redevelopment Project is increasing the town’s appeal as a shopping destination for locals and visitors alike and will create 60 new jobs.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Northern Victoria Jaclyn Symes
“The Wallan redevelopment is another positive step for the town. The Andrews Government is making a series of key investments in Wallan, supporting economic development and improving liveability.”